Tuesday 19 March 2013

University Exploits

Well, as you may know, I'm a student at Leeds Metropolitan University studying the often mind- numbingly dull English Literature. I have to say I'm more of an English Language man than literature. But I didn't have the choice unfortunately, unless I'd been willing to move across the country. But that's another story.

I've come up with the idea of blogging about my exploits at university and about things that amuse me there. One of the things I thought of today is how I've never been able to walk around the building with the library in it, the one I use most often, without various other students offering me an endless supply of leaflets and advertising cards. I used to sometimes take one but I'd never do anything with it so stopped taking them, most of them weren't of much interest to me. It's got to the point where I try to avoid them by sneaking around the person in front of me who they've roped in or by looking completely vacant. I don't even listen to what they're saying anymore. I just cut them off mid- sentence. For all I know they're actually saying 'would you like a free season ticket at Arsenal and a weekly lap dance by a supermodel?' And I'm there saying 'no ta mate'.

Another thing is how most of the people behind desks there are so reluctant to be in any way helpful. Some of them are very nice and actually useful, but a lot are shocking. It makes me wonder how they got that job in the first place. The other day I went looking for a lost folder at the library reception and saw two dour- looking blokes sat there behind the counter (counter- is that the right word in this case? Screw it, I'm going with counter) and scowled at me as I glanced at the words 'library help desk' on the wall above them, as if I was doing something disgracefully out of the norm. And surprise, surprise, they couldn't help. It was probably one of them who's nicked it, the sour old gits. Who nicks a purple cardboard folder anyway? Because that's what seems to have happened, I've looked everywhere it could be at university and at home, it's not even got much in it (fortunately for me- of all my folders to lose, that is the best one). There's some weirdos about.

Here's another weirdo: exactly two weeks ago I was on a bus home in the evening and there was a gorgeous blonde girl sat on the side- facing seat in front of me on the bus. She was literally the best looking girl I've seen in a while. Thankfully there was a hell of a lot of traffic on the way home so I had plenty of time to figure out whether to make a move or not and what that move would be. I decided to leave it until towards the end of the journey so if she rejected me the awkwardness wouldn't last long. The bus was full so we had loads of people sat around us, including her friend (yes, another obstacle). Her friend had moved in front of her but prior to that she had glanced at me quite a lot and I suspected she was interested in me. So the moment finally came where I showed some balls and asked her friend if I could talk to her, she said yes and I introduced myself to her, she introduced herself back- Shannon- as the rest of the back end of the bus eaves dropped on us. I did my thing and she gave me her number. I then skipped home with delight after getting off the bus. I was excited about showing this hot girl, who seemed to genuinely like me and seemed interested in me, a good time and so called her the next day. She didn't answer but rang back shortly after however sounded quite odd on the phone- shy and distant. I was concerned and even more concerned when she told me she was busy working for the next 4 days and would text me at a later date to tell me when she's available. I received no such text so left it until last Friday to leave a message on her phone to tell her it's fine if she doesn't want to go out with me, as long as she told me but haven't had a response. So I'm pretty pissed off. What would make a girl treat me like that? Seem interested, string me along and then just ignore me despite me being nothing but friendly, respectful and understanding. Why ignore me when she was interested and gave me her number and said she'd like to go out on a date with me? I just can't understand it. So anyone who can shed any light on this perhaps from a similar experience, leave a comment because I'm stumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment